Creamy Dasheen Punch Recipe by Chef Shaun 🇹🇹
Dasheen or Taro root is a segment or tuber of the taro tree. Dasheen is a great source of fiber and other healthy nutrients like potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C while helping to manage blood sugar, gut, and heart health. We in Trinidad and Tobago eat the root and leaves of the taro tree.
Yield - 2 to 4 Servings.
Dasheen - 2 lb
Full Cream Milk - 12 oz
Condensed Milk - 2/3 cup
Mixed Essence - 1 tbsp
Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 tsp
Grated Nutmeg - Pinch
Grated Tonka Bean - Pinch
Cardamom Powder - 1/8 tsp
Salt - pinch
1. Set up your steamer.
2. Peel, cube and wash your Dasheen.
3. Add Dasheen to your steamer and allow to cook until fork tender (about 10-12 minutes).
4. Add Dasheen and the remaining ingredients to your blender and blend to a smooth consistency.
5. Taste for desired sweetness and serve on ice or place in the refrigerator to cool before drinking.
1. You can substitute Dasheen with any other ground provision of your choice.
2. Steaming allows you to cook it without killing the micronutrients and prevents some of the macronutrients from escaping as they would if it were boiling.
3. Blending your Dasheen while hot will be a lot easier on your blender.
4. Feel free to substitute with any milk of your choice.
5. Cinnamon, nutmeg, tonka bean and cardamom add warmth, aroma, and earthiness to your punch.
6. Salt elevates all flavors.