How To Make Trini Pigeon Peas
Pigeon Peas is on the menu in the "How To?" kitchen this week.
You will need
3-260g Pigeon Peas (canned)
1 cup Pumpkin (diced)
1 cup Carrots (diced)
1 ½ cups Chive (chopped)
¼ cup Pimento Peppers (chopped)
¼ cup Garlic (chopped)
½ cup Onions (chopped)
6 sprigs Fine Thyme
1 cup Coconut Milk
½ cup Ketchup
½ cup Brown Sugar
½ cup Vegetable Oil
½ cup Parsley (chopped)
Salt to taste
1. Transfer peas to a strainer and rinse under cold water.
2. Drain off excess water.
3. In a medium pot over high heat, add vegetable oil and brown sugar.
4. Stir and allow to cook until golden brown and fluffy – stirring occasionally to ensure the sugar doesn’t burn and taste bitter.
5. Stir in peas.
6. Lower heat to medium and allow peas to absorb the sugar mixture (about 5 minutes).
7. Add chive, pimento, garlic, thyme, carrots, pumpkin and salt to taste.
8. Cover and allow to cook for 10 mins.
9. Add ketchup and coconut milk.
10. Reduce heat and bring mixture to a simmer.
11. For a thinner gravy add water.
12. For a thicker gravy smash some of the peas with the back of the spoon.
13. Add parsley and remove from heat.