Trini Chicken Pelau Recipe by Chef Jeremy Lovell
Serves: 6 persons
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 lb chicken for stew, cut and seasoned (green seasoning)
1½ cups uncooked rice (washed)
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup pigeon peas
3/4 cup chopped carrot
3/4 cup chopped pumpkin
1 bay leaf
2 tsp chopped onion
1 tbsp coarsely chopped pimento pepper
1 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp coarsely chopped chadon beni/culantro
salt & black pepper to taste
1. In heavy metal pot, cook sugar over medium heat until it begins to caramelize (dark brown color).
2. Stir in the chicken, and cook until well browned.
3. Cook chicken for about 15min then add bay leaf, pigeon peas, carrot, pumpkin, onion, salt, black pepper, chadon beni, rice and coconut milk.
4. Water level must be just above ingredients.
5. Leave to simmer; cover and cook until rice is done, about 25-30 minutes.
6. Stir in parsley and pimento when rice is cooked, allow to cook for another 5min then take off heat.