- Foodie Nation
🇹🇹 Tomato & Basil Sardine FISHCAKES Recipe by Chef Shaun
This recipe is an easy, fun, light, and healthy fishcake recipe using Brunswick Tomato & Basil Sardines. Some of you may be thinking, how can sardines be fun, as most of us would be familiar with the sardines in the tin that still have the skin, guts, and spine intact. Well, Brunswick has made it a lot more convenient for us, by creating this protein-packed, boneless, ready-to-eat option which is also filled with omega-3 fatty acids that fit into our busy and hectic lifestyles.
Yield - 2 to 4 Snack-Sized Servings.
Brunswick Tomato & Basil Sardines - 2 tins
Low Fat Plain Yogurt (whole milk) - ½ cup
Breadcrumbs - 1 cup
Parsley - 1/8 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves (finely chopped)
Cajun Seasoning - 2 tsp (opt.)
Egg - 1 Large (beaten)
Salt - 1 tsp or to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 500F.
2. Add your sardines to a bowl and break them into smaller pieces using a fork.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix until all are evenly incorporated.
4. Using a tablespoon, divide the mix into small patties.
5. Place patties onto greased or non-stick baking tray.
6. Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes before flipping patties and baking for a further 5 minutes.
1. Baking at this temperature will give you that golden brown color and crispy texture without having to submerge and fry in oil.
2. I’m using the tomato and basil-flavored sardines, but you can choose any from the 6 different flavors they have on offer.
3. Apart from adding a creamy texture to the patty, plain yogurt also adds to the overall aroma of the fish cake.
4. The breadcrumbs are being used as a binding agent as well as adding another textural component to the overall dish.
5. Fresh parsley gives it that herbaceous aroma and taste.
6. Garlic adds a pungent, spicy flavor that gets sweeter when cooked.
7. Cajun seasoning helps to elevate the fish cake and add a bit of spiciness.
8. Egg serves as a binding and emulsifying agent.
9. Salt helps to marry and lift all the flavors.
10. I used my hands to evenly flatten the patties before placing them on the greased baking dish.
11. You can enjoy these as is or with a sauce of your choice. Garlic or tamarind sauce would be two of my choices.