Dhal Recipe by Chef Shaun 🇹🇹
Yield - 10 to 15 Servings
Dried Split Peas - 1 lb (washed)
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Garlic - 5 + 5 whole cloves (roughly chopped)
Pimento Peppers - 5 (halved)
Onion - 1/2 cup (sliced/diced)
Scotch Bonnet Pepper - 2 tsp or to taste
Water - 5 cups (or enough to cover Pea)
Chadon Beni - 1/3 cup (chopped)
Chive - 1/4 cup (chopped)
Salt - 2 tsp or to taste
Coconut Oil - 1/4 cup
Ochre - 1/2 cup
Whole Cumin (Geera) Seeds - 1/2 tbsp
1. Add split peas, turmeric, 5 garlic cloves, pimento, onion, pepper & water to a medium pot.
2. Cover and bring to a boil.
3. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and allow split peas to cook until tender (about 30 to 45 minutes).
4. Once tender, add chadon beni & chive.
5. Puree mixture to a smooth consistency.
6. Taste for salt and set aside.
7. Heat small frying/sauce pan over high heat.
8. Once heated, add oil, ochre & cumin seeds.
9. Reduce heat to medium and allow ochre to fry (about 3 minutes).
10. Add remaining garlic and continue to cook until both garlic and ochre is fried to a golden-brown colour.
11. Immediately add to dhal and enjoy!