How To Make Trini Mango Talkari (Masala Mango)
Your "Trini Curry" experience has not been complete if Mango Talkari was not present. Join Kez as she learns how Dev prepares his:
Yield – 10 to 12 Servings
Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
Carapoulay Leaves - 2 to 3
Chopped Spanish Onion - 1 small
Chopped Scotch bonnet Pepper - 1 small
Chopped Pimento – 2 to 3
Chopped Chadon Beni - 2 tbsp
Chopped Spanish Thyme – 1 tbsp
Chopped Garlic - 3 cloves
Green Mango - 2 lbs (cut into small pieces)
Anchar Masala - 2 tbsp
Roasted Geera (Cumin) - ½ tsp (optional)
Salt - to taste
Water - as needed
Brown Sugar - ½ cup to 3/4 cup or more depending on type of mango used and preference
1. Heat medium sized pot over medium to high heat.
2. Once heated, add oil.
3. Once oil is heated, add curry leaves and allow to cook until the colour changes from
green to brown.
4. Add in onion, scotch bonnet pepper, pimentos, chadon beni and thyme.
5. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add garlic and allow to cook for 1 minute.
7. Add mango and mix well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
8. Add anchar massala and geera, allowing to cook for 2 mins.
9. Add sugar.
10. Stir well, ensuring to evenly coat the mango.
11. Cover mango mixture with water.
12. Bring to a boil, add salt and reduce to a simmer.
13. Allow the mango to slowly cook and break down.
14. Once mango has reached desired texture, remove from heat.