- Jenna G The Hijabi
How To Make Trini Maleeda/Malida
It was so nice, we had to do it twice! Jenna G The Hijabi TT shows us how to process Buss Up Shut Roti to make Maleeda:
* 1 hot paratha roti (12inch diameter)
* 1/2 cup condensed milk
* 1/4 cup evaporated milk
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp ground elychee
* 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
* 4 tbsp margarine
* 1-2 tsp brown sugar
* raisins (as much as you like)
* cherries (as much as you like)
1. Add roti to a food processor. Process until the roti is in tiny pieces. Empty the pieces into a bowl.
2. Add sugar, cinnamon and elychee to the bowl. Mix well.
3. Add the margarine. Using your fingers, break it up into pieces and mix well to ensure it is properly incorporated with the roti.
4. Add evaporated milk, vanilla essence followed by the condensed milk. Mix well. At this point, the mixture should be very wet/sticky. If it is not, add some more evaporated milk.
5. Cover it and let it rest for not more than 10 minutes.
6. After resting, taste and adjust sweetness if necessary. At this point, the mixture will become a little drier as the roti would have absorbed some of the liquids while resting.
7. Add raisins and cherries. Mix well into the mixture.
8. Roll into smooth balls and set aside.
9. ENJOY YOUR MALEEDAS!
* The size roti used was a 12 inch diameter. This is important to know to ensure you add enough of the wet ingredients.
* Your sweetness preference might be different from mine so be sure to adjust the sugar accordingly.
* Add ingredients while the roti is hot. This will help to melt the sugar and the margarine.
* You have the option of adding only the condensed milk (eliminating the sugar and evaporated milk) but I prefer adding the evaporated milk for extra moisture without the extra sweetness. Also, I prefer the consistency of the maleedas when both the evaporated milk and condensed milk are both used. Using only the condensed milk gives a different 'sticky' consistency.
* A pinch of black pepper can also be added. Many people would say this is actually a key to a delightful maleeda. It's all up to you if you wish to add it.