Trinbagonian Sorrel Collins Cocktail | Wah Yuh Drinkin?
What's a Trini Christmas without Sorrel? 🇹🇹🎄 Raakesh guides Kezzianne on how to present the holiday favourite with an exciting twist:
1 1/2 oz. Tanqueray Gin
3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 oz. Sorrel Syrup (infused with Cloves and Honey)
Club Soda (for topping)
Misting of Orange Bitters
Methodology: Shake all ingredients (except Club Soda) with ice, and double strain over ice block.
Garnish: Lemon Twist and Dehydrated Sorrel
Sorrel Syrup Recipe:
20 Red Sorrel Pods (dried)
2 Cinnamon Sticks (no Cinnamon Powder)
8 Whole Cloves (no Clove Powder)
1 small stick All Spice Bark (no All Spice Powder)
1 small piece Ginger Root (no Ginger Powder)
3 Bay Leaves
1 small Strip Fresh Lemon Peel
1 small Strip Fresh Orange Peel
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 Cup Honey
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add Cinnamon Sticks, Cloves, All Spice Bark, Ginger Root and Bay Leaves. Cover and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes on slow heat.
2. Add Sorrel and Bay Leaves, and allow to simmer in the “spiced water” for an additional 20 minutes, stirring in the Granulated Sugar, until a Sorrel Reduction is achieved.
3. Remove from heat and gently stir in Honey.
4. Allow concentrate to steep overnight with Citrus Peels.
5. Strain using a sieve.
6. Add clear Vanilla Extract (to taste).
7. Bottle and refrigerate immediately.
(Please note the Sorrel Concentrate should not be too overly sweet, with the following taste profiles on the palate in the following descending order: Sorrel; then Spices; then Sweet. Also, Honey is not entirely necessary and additional Granulated Sugar may be used to adjust sweetness levels)