How To Make Trini Beef Pelau
National champ, Chef Jeremy, is back to show us how to ‘brown de sugar’ properly as he prepares a delicious, comforting Beef Pelau:
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound beef for stew, cut in 1 inch pieces and seasoned (green seasoning)
2 cups water
1½ cups uncooked rice (washed)
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups fresh pigeon peas
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped pumpkin
1 bay leaf
3 tables spoon coarsely chopped pimento
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoon coarsely chopped chadon beni (culantro)
1. In a heavy metal pot, cook sugar and oil over medium heat until it begins to caramelize (a dark brown color).
2. Stir in the beef, and cook until well browned.
3. Add the water, coconut milk, rice, pigeon peas, carrot, pumpkin and bay leaf.
4. Leave to a simmer; cover and cook until rice is done, about 25 minutes.
5. Stir in parsley, pimento and chadon beni when rice is cooked allow to cook for another 5min then take off heat.