Hot Cross Buns Recipe presented by Chef Jeremy Lovell
Yield: 12 Buns
Flour - 4 cups
Dry Yeast - 1/2 oz
Granulated Sugar - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 tsp
Evaporated Milk - 12oz (warm)
Egg - 1 large
Lemon Essence - 1 tsp
Yellow Food Colouring - a few drops
Butter - 3 oz
Currants - 2oz
Raisins - 2oz
Mixed Fruit - 4oz
Brown Sugar - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Mixed Essence - 1 tbsp
Vanilla Essence - 1 tbsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Icing Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Whole Milk/Water - 2 tbsp
For The Buns:
1. Sift together flour, sugar and cinnamon.
2. Add yeast and mix well. Set aside.
3. Scald milk and add egg, lemon essence and yellow food colouring. Set aside.
4. Cut butter into the flour mixture.
5. Add fruit and mix well.
6. Add milk mixture and mix until just combined then add salt.
7. Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
8. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rest for 1 hour.
9. Punch down dough.
10. Shape equal pieces of dough into 12 buns and place them on a greased baking sheet.
11. Cover with warm cloth and let rest one hour.
12. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes.
1. Add brown sugar, water, vanilla, mixed essence and bay leaf to a pot and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until all the sugar has dissolved.
2. Remove from heat once reduced to half.
3. Glaze buns while the buns are still hot.
4. Set aside to cool completely.
For Royal Icing:
1. Place icing sugar into a bowl and mix in the whole milk bit by bit until a firm consistency is achieved.
*If icing becomes too thick, add milk or water little by little to thin the icing until the desired consistency is achieved*
2. Make crosses on cooled buns and enjoy!