How To Make Curry Crab Stuffed Dumplings
No shells, no stress! Arlene teaches Kezzianne how to make Curry Crab Stuffed Dumplings:
1 lb Crab Meat
1 cup Curry Powder - separated (1/4 cup & 3/4cup)
1¼ cup Vegetable Oil separated (1/2cup & 3/4cup)
1 cup Coconut Milk Powder to mix with 2 cups warm water
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Cornmeal (optional)
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
3 cups Chive
1/2 cup Chadon Beni/Culantro
1/2 cup peeled Garlic
1/2cup Pimento Peppers
2 tbsp Fine Thyme leaves
2 tbsp of Lemon/Lime juice
Salt to taste
Your favorite Pepper Sauce
Making the seasoning:
1. Wash chive, pimento, garlic, chadon beni and allow excess water to drain.
2. Once excess water is drained completely, place all ingredients in your food processor and chop coarsely. Add thyme leaves, mix and set aside.
Making the crab filling:
1. Add 1 cup chopped seasoning and lemon/lime juice to crab meat and mix.
2. In a 9 inch pan on medium heat, allow 1/2 cup vegetable oil to heat. Once heated, add ¼ cup curry powder, stir then allow to cook until golden brown.
3. Add 1/2 cup chopped seasoning and mix until a paste is formed.
4. Add seasoned crab meat to curry mixture, stir, cover and allow to simmer for 2 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add ¼ cup of coconut milk mixture and allow to simmer until it reaches a ‘paste like’ consistency. If additional liquid is needed, add ¼ cup water.
6. Add salt and black pepper to your preferred taste. Once added, cover and allow to simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
7. Set aside to cool.
Making the dumpling dough:
1. In a bowl, add flour, cornmeal (optional), brown sugar and ½ tbsp salt.
2. Using 1¼ cups of room temperature water, knead until a smooth dough forms.
Stuffing the dumplings:
1. Divide the dough into 1 inch balls.
2. Roll out each ball into a flat round even circle about ¼ inch thick, place 1 tbsp of filling on one side of dough, fold dough over filling and, using a fork, press edges together to close. Set dumplings aside on a tray dusted with flour.
3. To a large pot of boiling water, add 2 tbsp vegetable oil and dumplings. Fill medium to large soup/stock pot halfway with water and 2 tbsp of vegetable oil over high heat. Bring water to a rolling boil and add dumplings. Stir once gently and allow to cook. When dumplings float to the top of the pot, remove dumplings with a large spoon and set aside on a tray.
Making the sauce:
1. Using a pan over medium heat, add ¾ cups of vegetable oil. Once heated, add ¾ cups of curry powder and stir until golden brown. Add 3 cups of chopped seasoning and allow to cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until a paste forms. Gradually add coconut milk and allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Add remaining crab meat mixture and dumplings ensuring dumplings are fully submerged in the sauce. Allow to simmer for an additional 8 to 10 minutes over low heat. Plate and serve.