- Chef Jeremy Lovell
How To Make Trini Macaroni Pie
National Culinary Team Captain, Chef Jeremy Lovell, stopped by to teach Kezzianne how he prepares a Trini Sunday Lunch essential, MACARONI PIE:
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 tbsp salted butter
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped pimento
4 oz grated carrots (optional)
2 tbsp chopped celery
4 oz Mayonnaise (optional)
2 large eggs
2 2/3 cups evaporated milk
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp dried thyme
a pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
3½ cups grated New Zealand cheddar cheese (local cheese), reserve ½ cup for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 9x11 baking dish, and set aside.
3. Boil macaroni in salted water according to package directions. Once cooked, drain the macaroni and place back into the pot, leaving it off the heat to cool down.
4. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, pimento carrots and celery, cook until softened and slightly caramelized. Scrape the mixture and melted butter into the pot with the macaroni. Stir to combine.
5. In a large bowl, beat eggs and mayonnaise together until fluffy. Add milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dry mustard, dried thyme and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the macaroni and stir until well coated.
7. Stir in 3 cups of the shredded cheese.
8. Pour into a greased, 9x11 baking dish and top with reserved ½ cup of shredded cheese.
9. Bake until the pie is firm, and the top is golden brown. About 35-40 minutes.
10. Allow pie to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.