How To Make Trini Red Beans
Arlene shows Kez how to prepare a simple yet hearty Red Beans for her Sunday Lunch.
You will need
3 (400g) tins Red Beans (canned)
1 ½ cup Chive (chopped)
½ cup Celery (chopped)
¼ cup Pimento (chopped)
¼ cup Garlic (chopped)
½ cup Onions (chopped)
1 cup Carrots (diced)
1 cup Pumpkin (diced)
¾ cup Ketchup
6 sprigs Fine Thyme
Salt to taste
1. Remove beans from tin, place into a strainer and rinse in cold
2. Drain off excess water.
3. In a large pot, add beans, cover with water and let cook over
high heat for 8-10 mins or until slightly cooked.
4. Add chive, pimento peppers, garlic, onions, ketchup, carrots,
pumpkin and salt to taste.
5. Lower heat and let simmer for 30 mins or until beans are
6. For a thicker gravy, smash some of the beans with the back of
the spoon (for a thinner gravy, add water).
7. When the beans are cooked, remove from heat, and add
8. Cover until ready to serve.