Lentil Peas Soup Recipe by Chef Shaun 🇹🇹
Yield - 6 to 8 Servings.
Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
Dried Lentil Peas - 8 oz
Pigtail - ½ lb (Optional)
Roucou - 1 tbsp (Optional)
Fine Thyme - 5 sprigs
Bayleaf - 1
Scotch Bonnet Pepper - 1 tsp or to taste (finely chopped)
Onion - 1 cup (finely chopped)
Pimento - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Garlic - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Water - 4 cups
Lemongrass - 2 leaves (tied in a knot)
Pumpkin - 1/2 cup (cubed)
Carrot - 1/2 cup (cubed)
Dasheen - 1 lb (cubed)
Cassava - 1 lb (cubed)
Green Banana - 1 lb (cubed)
Sweet Potato - 1 lb (cubed)
Celery - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
Chadon Beni - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Salt - to taste
1. Heat your medium sized stock pot over high heat.
2. Once heated, add brown sugar and allow to caramelise.
3. Once caramelised, add your lentils & pigtail.
4. Cover and allow your lentils to sweat for 5 minutes.
5. Reduce your heat to medium, stir peas, cover and let sweat for 5 more minutes.
6. Add roucou, fine thyme, bayleaf, pepper, onion, pimento & garlic.
7. Cover and allow to cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Cover ingredients with water and stir to evenly distribute all the ingredients.
9. Cover and allow to cook until peas are tender (about 30 to 35 minutes).
10. Once tender, remove pigtail and bayleaf.
11. Discard fine thyme stems.
12. Puree lentil mixture to a smooth and thick consistency.
13. Return pigtail to the pot.
14. Add lemon grass, pumpkin, carrots, dasheen, cassava, green banana & sweet potato.
15. Cover with water, partly cover and allow provisions to cook until tender (about 15 minutes).
16. Once tender, add celery, chadon beni & taste for salt.