Ochro Rice with Pigtails & Smoked Bones Recipe by Chef Jeremy Lovell
Serves: 6 persons
3 tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz pigtails (boiled and cut into small pieces)
8 oz smoked bones
2 cups water
1½ cups uncooked rice (washed)
2 cups ochro (cut into 1-inch pieces)
3 tsp garlic chopped
2 tbsp onion cubed
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped pumpkin
Salt & black pepper to taste
3 tsp coarsely chopped pimento pepper
3 tsp coarsely chopped fresh parsley
3 tsp coarsely chopped chadon beni/culantro
1. In heavy metal pot, add oil allow to heat up.
2. When oil is hot, add, garlic, onion, pimento, carrot, pumpkin, ochro, smoked bones and pigtail.
3. Let cook for 15mins or until brown in color then add the rice, coconut milk and water.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Leave to simmer; cover and cook until rice is done, about 25 minutes.
6. Stir in parsley and chadon beni when rice is cooked, allow to cook for another 5min then take off heat.