How To Make Trini Black Eyed Peas
In this week's episode, Kez learns how to make an ole school staple, Black Eyed Peas.
You will need
2 lbs Black Eyed Peas (precooked)
1 cup Onions (chopped)
8 sprigs Fine Thyme
1 ½ cup Chive (chopped)
¼ cup Pimento Peppers (chopped)
¼ cup Garlic (chopped)
1 cup Coconut Milk
1 cup Carrots (diced)
1 cup Pumpkin (diced)
¾ cup Brown Sugar
¾ cup Vegetable Oil
¼ cup Ketchup
Salt to taste
1. In a large pot over high heat, add vegetable oil and brown
2. Allow to cook until brown and fluffy – stirring occasionally
to ensure sugar doesn’t burn and taste bitter.
3. Add peas and stir – let cook for 2 mins.
4. Add chive, pimento peppers, onions, garlic, carrots,
pumpkin and thyme.
5. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 15 mins.
6. Add coconut milk, ketchup and salt to taste.
7. Cover and let simmer for 20 mins or until peas are fully
8. For a thicker gravy, smash some of the peas.
9. For a thinner gravy, add water.