How To Make Trini Dhalpuri Roti
Arlene heads outside to fire up the tawa to teach Natalie how to make Dhalpuri Roti.
You will need
Split Peas Filling
400g Split Peas
8 large Pimento Peppers
1 head Garlic
12- 15 Chadon Beni leaves
1 tbsp Geera Powder
Salt to taste
4 cup Flour
2 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Yeast
1 ½ tbsp Ghee
Warm water for kneading
Vegetable Oil for cooking
1. In a large pot, add split peas and cover with water.
2. Boil for 15 mins or until it is halfway cooked.
3. Strain and let cool.
4. Using a grinder or food processor, add split peas, garlic and
chadon beni – grind / process into a fine powdery consistency.
5. In a large heavy pot over high heat, add seasoned dhal mixture
and geera powder.
6. Keep stirring and allow to toast for 5- 10 minutes.
7. Add salt to taste.
1. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
2. Add warm water and knead into a soft, smooth dough.
3. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit for 20 mins.
4. Divide dough into 6 balls as illustrated in the video.
5. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit for 10-15 mins.
6. Open each ball into a round shape the size of your hand, fill with
dhal mixture and close, forming into a ball again (see video).
7. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit for 10 mins.
8. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a round, thin disc.
9. Place tahwah over high heat.
10. Once heated, grease lightly with vegetable oil or ghee.
11. Place dhalphourie on tahwah and grease the top lightly with
vegetable oil or ghee.
12. Cook each side for about 15 sec.
13. Place in a container lined with wax paper or greaseproof