- Chef Jeremy Lovell
Trini Corn Soup Recipe by Chef Jeremy Lovell
Serves: 6 persons
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp onion, chopped
1 tbsp + 1 tsp garlic chopped
2 cups potato, peeled & cubed
1 cup carrots, cubed
1 cup pumpkin, cubed
1 bay leaf (optional)
2 tbsp chive/scallions, chopped
1 tbsp celery, finely chopped
4 sprigs fine thyme
2 cups yellow split peas boiled and blended
1 tbsp + 1 tsp pimento pepper chopped
8 cups water
1 whole hot pepper
1 cup coconut milk liquid
2 whole corn on the cob fresh, cut into 2inch pieces
1 tbsp chadon beni/culantro, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste.
1. In a large soup pot, add butter.
2. Add the onions, pimento and garlic and sauté until golden brown.
3. Add the potatoes, carrots, thyme, pumpkin and bay leaf and cook for about 5 mins stirring constantly.
4. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Add corn, split peas and enough water to top ingredients.
6. Allow to cook for 30-40 minutes.
7. Add extra seasonings; pimento, garlic, chive, hot pepper, chadon beni and celery.
8. Stir thoroughly.
9. Add dumplings and coconut milk.
10. Add more salt and black pepper to taste.
11. Cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.